Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Art Journal Update


I went ahead and did the Art and Letters challenge (see previous post), so that I could talk about the attitude toward the process while I was working on it.

First, let me say, that there were quite a few times I hated what I came up with, and other moments where I liked it very much. I feel pretty sure that a lot of you might vacillate between the love/hate relationship with your work as well. Am I right?

Anyway, I took a few shots along the way to give you an idea of how this progressed. The finished two-page spread in my Moleskine Sketchbook (shown above) took about 50 minutes. The graphite drawing (shown below with other pics) was done in 10 minutes, the first wash 10 more, adding watercolor pencil about 15 minutes, adding more watercolor pencil (dry this time) 10 more, and the last 5 minutes were spent journaling.

I ran up against some stumbling blocks- the paper got too wet from the washes, and I even made a hole in the page near the coffee cup, but my attitude is just that anything I do can be fixed or covered up. It is not a big deal. Here are some of the other pictures of the work-in-progress:


1 comment:

ozona said...

I am leaving a comment, since I am editing the blog to add in an example that a reader/participant was kind enough to let me post! Thank you, Sandy, for your "Apology to My Living Room" art journal entry. It's terrific!